- OTF’s primary web application has been maintained by a lead service partner since the first version in early 2013. It began as a simple site with a few static pages. Later in 2013, the first application content type was added with the ability to submit reviews and then proposals, custom content states and workflow with submission responses were added. Today, the system manages multiple application and proposal types with a diversity of reviews and submission responses. A multi-faceted permission system, notification system via e-mail and Slack as well as many other features have been added a long the way. Along with continues development on back-end features, the site has been continually re-designed visually, with three major face changes, and a forth now underway.
- The OTF primary web app is a big and ever evolving system. The service partner will often be required by the OTF team to provide support on how to use the system in the most effective way.
- The primary web app is not the only system to be supported, but the most important and the most demanding. There are several other Drupal, Wordpress, and static websites that are expected to be supported.
- Any modern CMS needs to be kept updated and maintained. The two most important aspects are security updates, core updates, and other module updates that keep the system running smoothly on modern hosting infrastructure.
- Bugs are mainly discovered shortly after new features are added to OTF websites but also from older features when they are used in new ways. The service partner must have the ability to quickly track bugs down and implement fixes to keep the systems running smoothly.
- As OTF expands new functionality and changes to existing functions constantly, the service partner will not only build the new functionality but also help OTF define the requirements so to make best possible use of deployed systems.
- The chosen service partner will have the most knowledge of OTF systems and as such will be responsible to on-board new partners and people as needed. As such, they will be very invovled in graphical redesigns, as extra development will be required for new and special features.
Organization or individual applicants will be expected to perform the following services:
- Be available for the day-to-day support requests from the OTF team;
- Monitor both the public and private topics on OTF managed support forums, responding to and resolving bugs and other serious issues;
- Actively participate in the discussion and scoping of new features;
- Triage and lead continual development of new features;
- Provide support for other external developers and designers assigned to work on OTF apps; and,
- Stay up to date on Drupal core and module updates, provide timely support and maintenance ensuring OTF code bases are up-to-date.
Organization or individual submitting must have a proven track record of successful web development work and meet the following requirements:
- An understanding of the internet freedom community demographic, their culture, and preferences. Previous working experience in the community strongly preferred;
- Experience working with Drupal and PHP required, with the ability to develop and maintain custom modules;
- Experience working with HTML5, CSS, and any other language required for design customization and strong knowledge of responsive design;
- Ability to troubleshoot and self-manage code;
- Experience understanding of front-end and back-end web security best practices;
- Ability to successful liaison with various partners and web specialists and drawing up detailed website specifications;
- Knowledge of search engine optimization, digital strategy and information architecture;
- At least 3 years of recent ongoing experience, a history of being active in the Drupal community, with documentation of contributing back.
Acceptable applications will be for no less than $50,000 USD and for no more than $150,000 USD, include the number of hours of work being provided, and the hourly rate per offered service if appropriate.
OTF awards are performance-based contracts signed directly with the applicant. Payment is issued on completion of work on agreed upon services outlined in a contract. OTF reserves the right to award less or more than the funds requested as deemed in the best interest of OTF’s priorities.
Acceptable applicants will offer to provide the requested services for at least 12 months and no longer than 24 months.
Applications must be submitted no later than 23:59 (11:59PM) GMT on the date of deadline stated on the OTF website. We do not accept applications submitted via email, Fax, the U.S. postal system, FedEx, UPS and similar delivery companies, or courier. Only applications submitted through this online form will be considered. Applicants that do not meet any of these requirements may not be considered.
Ideal applicants are making use of, support, or develop open and accessible technologies promoting human rights and open societies, and help advance inclusive and safe access to global communications networks. In addition, the following criteria must be met:
- Individuals of all ages irrespective of nationality, residency, creed, gender, or other factors, with the exception that OTF is not able to support applicants within countries that the United States has trade restrictions or export sanctions as determined by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC);
- Non-profit organization/non-government organization, including U.S.-based NGO, PIO, or foreign NGO;
- For-profit organization or business in any country;
- Consortia of multiple people or organizations with one individual or organization designated as the lead applicant;
- Have demonstrated experience administering successful projects, preferably targeting the requested program area, or similarly challenging program environments where OTF reserves the right to request additional background information on organizations;
- Ideal applicants must not reflect any type of support for any member, affiliate, or representative of a designated terrorist organization, whether or not elected members of government.